Sunday 13 May 2012

Race for Life

Today marked my first 'event' of my running journey - Race for Life in Aberystwyth with some work friends, girls from our school, plus staff and more girls from the high school in the next town to our school.

A lovely day, sunny, not too warm, with a nice breeze. Loads of ladies and LOTS of pink. Got a lump in my throat reading some of the back signs out there...it's a big thing.

After a fab zumba-style mass warm up on the prom (led by the amazing Laura), we ambitiously stood about halfway between the 'runners' and 'joggers' flags at the start - thinking we'd just get overtaken by the 'proper' runners.

Lana and I had decided that we were going to try to stick together, and to try to give it a bit of effort. She didn't have a choice, she had my phone and my lunch money in her sexy bum bag!! Surprisingly, we found ourselves running past people, and it continued to go well.

The fourth kilometre was pretty hard - round the field, but the 4km marker gave us the boost we needed. Coming up towards the finish, I said to Lana that I didn't think I'd be able to manage a 'sprint' finish because I didn't have anything left - but as soon as the finish line came in to view, we both belted it!!!

Thanks Lana for being my running partner (and Kate, Fi, Ceri, Kerrie, Shan, Kylie and Luc)

Here's us at the finish...




...and facebook friends can see a proper minging one of me at the finish in my mobile uploads!


Race for Life Stats:

Start time: 11.00 (ish)
Route: All around Aberystwyth
Training type: 'Race' (!)
Weather: Sunny with a breeze

Distance: 5km
Time: 32 something

with: Lana, mainly

Felt: great (except for the grassy bit, that was tough!)

Best Bit(s): all the spectator support, 'Pink Elvis', almost getting sub 30 mins




Good fun, great atmosphere. I wholly recommend it.


Thanks Kate for organising it all  xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment