Tuesday 8 May 2012

Rain stops play?

Week 1 Monday (that's today) on the training plan says 'Jog for 10 mins, run for 10mins'.

First problem is to work out the difference between 'jog' and 'run'. I generally have two paces: a comfortable pace, where I can keep on jogging/running for as long as I need to and the slightly more energetic one that might appear later in the run when I haven't pushed myself too hard (usually down the hill on the way home).

I don't think I'm going to be able to keep up the more energetic pace for ten whole minutes. We'll see how it goes.

A bit of research leads me to some running forums to see what the word on the street is. Apparently, mine is a common question, so I don't actually need to ask it, just search the comments on other people's threads.

There doesn't seem to be a straight answer. Of course, it's different for everyone, because everyone's different. It's a question of effort. I always say 'I'm going for a run'. I don't take it easy, but I don't kill myself either. I want to feel like I've done something - otherwise what's the point?

So I've decided (for now, anyway. I'm a woman so I can change my mind anytime I like, can't I?) that what usually do is more than a jog. Today's jog is going to be a comfortable pace. Ten minutes is about what it takes down to the end of the prom, I reckon. I'll run back. Faster. I've got to drop something off on my way, so that'll make up for the difference in speed. Very rough estimates, I know, but I don't want to be farting about with exact timings at this stage. That'll be a treat I'll leave until I've got into the training.

So, I cook dinner for the kids. Their dad has agreed to bath them whilst I go for a run. Fab. Except this is what happens whilst I'm cooking...


The rain we were promised has pretty much held off all day, apart from the odd shower this afternoon. Now, as I pull on my running gear, the heaven's open. Great.

I decide to brave it anyway. I have a raincoat and I'm going to have to run in worse in the winter. Plus I'd rather run in the rain than when it's really hot (I know, fat chance of that living here).

I did my errand (notice I didn't 'run' the errand) and jogged to the end on the prom. In the rain. At least there was nobody about, I suppose. I put up the effort on the way back, and of course, so did the wind!

I only managed 5 minutes (half way back) at a good, hard pace. I'm disappointed with myself that I then had to walk for a minute before running another 2 minutes. I did manage 10 minutes running in total, but broken down into 3 parts. Maybe I need to run slower? I'm sure I'll settle into the right pace for me once I've done a bit more.

I know I worked hard, I felt it when I got back. I'll see how it feels in the morning. Tomorrow is a 30 minute jog. I'm more than happy with that.

And I've begun. I'm on my way.





1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great start to me. We saw the rain and I was glad I wasn't out in it! I wouldn't worry too much that you had to break the 10 minutes into 3 parts, you're just starting out and maybe 10 minutes is a bit too much to begin with. You managed 5 minutes which is fantastic and 5 more than I could have managed. So tomorrow, aim for 6 minutes before you have to stop and walk, and then aim for 7 minutes etc. Just start slow and aim for building up your running time by a minute at a time! PS I love your view!

    ReplyDelete